This chocolate peanut-buttery treat (we call them Haystacks) is actually a recipe that my mother-in-law gave me (Thanks Nancy B!). With a little twist to make it fun for Easter.
I got the idea to take Nancy's Haystacks and turn them into these cute little Easter nests from a great food blogger Carrots N Chocolate. I didn't use Carrots N Chocolate's recipe since Haystacks are a family favorite in my house, but hers look delicious too (and maybe even a bit healthier since it uses a fiber cereal in place of the chow mein noodles). Thanks for the great idea Carrots N Chocolate!!
You only need 6 ingredients!
- 11 oz (1 bag) butterscotch chips
- 11 oz (1 bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups crunchy chow mein noodles, slightly crushed
- 1 cup (approx.) of Cadbury Mini Eggs (or any other hard shell candy shaped like an egg. M&M's work nicely too)
Melt your butterscotch and chocolate chips in a double boiler (to be super fast and easy, you can also use your microwave). Once it is melted, add in your peanut butter, chow mein noodles, and pecans. Stir until well combined.
Spoon the mixture onto your cookie sheet. Gently place the mini eggs in the center to form your nest.
Cool in the fridge until it has set.
This literally took me 5 minutes to throw together. Love that! And they are just as tasty as they are cute. I promise.
Happy Easter everyone. May you have a blessed day tomorrow.