Friday, June 3, 2011

Compost Cookies

Okay, so this could very well be the best cookie recipe that you will ever encounter.  I mean it.  Seriously, it's amazing. This recipe comes from the fine folks over at NYC's Momofuku Milk Bar.  Weird name, I know.  But the name doesn't deter from its awesomeness.


I first heard about these cookies when I caught an episode of Live with Regis & Kelly last year.  You must know that I rarely watch this show.  Sorry Regis, but the only reason I caught this episode was because my anchor-crush Anderson Cooper (doesn't every girl have an anchor-crush?) was guest co-hosting.  He introduced the Compost Cookie as his absolute favorite.


I've read mixed reviews about people making this cookie at home.  I haven't had any major issues.  Just follow the instructions very carefully and watch your ovens.  You'll be fine. You'll be more than fine.  You'll be in cookie-heaven.

The Momofuku Milk Bar Compost Cookie
recipe by Christina Tosi
(originally featured on the Regis & Kelly website, but it is no longer posted)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, unsalted
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp corn syrup 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsps baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups your favorite baking ingredients (some options include: chocolate chips, Raisenettes, Rollos, Cocoa Krispies, oats, mini-marshmallows, toffee bits, etc. )
  • 1 1/2 cups your favorite snack foods (I go for salty such as chips, pretzels, etc.  On the show Kelly added goldfish to her batch.  The bottom line is, if you like it or your kids like it, go for it!!)
Note:  I change up the ingredients almost every time I make these.  This last time I used: chocolate chips, almond joy candy, M&M's, potato chips and pretzels.

Instructions:
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter, sugars and corn syrup on medium high for two to three minutes until fluffy and pale yellow in color. Scrape down the sides with a spatula.

On a lower speed, add eggs and vanilla to incorporate.  Increase mixing speed to medium-high and start a timer for 10 minutes. During this time the sugar granules will fully dissolve, the mixture will become an almost pale white color and your creamed mixture will double in size.

When time is up, on a lower speed, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix for 45 - 60 seconds just until your dough comes together and all remnants of dry ingredients have incorporated. Do not walk away from your mixer during this time or you will risk over mixing the dough. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula.

On the same low speed, add your favorite baking ingredients and mix for 30 - 45 seconds until they evenly mix into the dough. Add in your favorite snack foods last (and no, you don't need to crush the regular pretzels or chips), paddling again on low speed until they are just incorporated.

Using a 6 oz. ice cream scoop, scoop cookie dough onto a parchment lined sheet pan.  They will really expand so leave plenty of room between your cookies.

Wrap scooped cookie dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour.

NOTE: DO NOT BAKE your cookies from room temperature or they will not hold their shape.

When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 F.  Unwrap the cookies and bake for 9 to 11 minutes. While in the oven, the cookies will puff, crackle and spread.  At 9 minutes, the cookies should be browned on the edges and just beginning to brown towards the center. Leave the cookies in the oven for the additional couple of minutes if these colors don't match up and your cookies still seem pale and doughy on the surface.

Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pan before transferring to a plate or an airtight container for storage.


I love this cookie because you can really make it your own.  Get the kids in on the action--they'll enjoy the process of picking and choosing what goes in it, and they will definitely love the end result!  Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I will totally try these. I love nothing more than a cookie that has all my favorite stuff in it! Yours look great, and thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try these.. I found you via basilmomma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...this cookie has a whole lot of yummy goodness in there! I can see why it would be a favorite... thanks for sharing the recipe... I'll definitely eat these up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Candace! I found you through Basilmomma's Blog Hop. What a versatile cookie recipe! Kids would love it. Have a great day! Sherri

    http://www.FoodBasics101.com
    Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/3nd53r4

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Candace! I'm here from basilmomma's, too. Love your placemat/table setting background! (and these cookies... and The Sauce with salmon and, and, and...) Nice to "meet" you!
    ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Followed your link from Basilmomma too. I think I'd have to change the name before serving these to guests :) I'm looking forward to trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been having a cookie craze this past week, and this one sounds really good! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm a huge fan of Regis and Kelly, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a cookie, what doesn't it have in it! Looks great :) By the way, I left you an award over on my blog. I know this is late notice but I went on vacation right after the award post: http://deelicioussweets.blogspot.com/2011/06/awards.html

    ReplyDelete